From Audrey
To Dad,
There's
a shelf at our house where people just leave books. I found one called
"the 100 year old man who climbed out the window and disappeared."
For some reason it made me think of you haha I guess I thought you might have
read it or you would like it.
I
think you would like it here. Have you been to Asia? I don't remember. The
mountains are beautiful and you would be so happy hiking around in them.
Although it's been really hazy while I'm here and I haven't even seen the
Himalayas. I don't believe in them they don't really exist.
Anyway
I just miss you. Like I'm wonderful and happy but I miss talking to you and
playing settlers with everyone. Can you give me some advice? How do I obtain a
stronger assertive personality? I mean I've made a lot of friends but I feel
kind of shy sometimes here.
Reply from Dad to Audrey
Hey there Namaste mi hija
charmant π That is a very multicultural introduction
no?
I’m glad you think of me when
you see books. Many books are among my very best friends. Sharidean
Flint right now is making me hurry through a Dickens classic though and I don’t
like being rushed through my dessert. I do hope that if I ever get to be
100 which is any day now I don’t climb out of a window and disappear…
haha. Here’s one review of that book about the 100 year old man that I
found: “Good fun if you’re looking for light entertaining nonsense
with a history lesson thrown in at various stages along the way.”
I think of you all the time,
wondering what you’re doing every day and every hour and if you’re always with
the people in your group or ever alone and feeling content or feeling lonely or
feeling amazed at all the wonder and sadness and humanity you’re immersed in
right now. Having your phone here helps with thinking of you
often. I set Stockton Huskinson apart as a missionary last night and his
family made terrible fun of me with a flowery phone case. It’s an
interesting piece of antique technology your phone is and it seems to be
missing you. It does odd things now and then and I am pretty sure it’s
protesting being away from you. It’s like that movie about the boy doll,
it might actually be a living thing- Right now it’s new trick is that about
half of the texts that are meant for me are showing up on Alicia’s phone so
every night after work I have to come home and check her phone to see who
texted me that day.
Mom and I got an email from
Pam Tew tonight, wasn’t she an awesome YW leader? You might be talking
about her someday like mom talks about Sister Bowering. She emailed us
tonight asking us to be presenters in their stake relief society women’s
conference next month talking on the topic: “Navigating the Dating
Terrain.” How about that? We both think you would be better
qualified to talk to the YSA women about that than we are. We’re too old
and feeble.
I have been to far western
Asia, in the summer of 1993 I lived in Israel for 2 months and we had short
trips to the Sinai peninsula which is technically the northeast corner of
Africa and to Amman, Jordan. Amman was the least safe place I felt
at of everywhere we went and I really only remember staying one or maybe two
nights in a hotel there and not going anywhere at all in the city. We
played repeated vicious games of spoons over and over (by that time we all knew
each other really well, it was at the end of the two months) and I remember
getting thrown off of a bed and knocked to the floor at one point.
Probably everyone in rooms around us thought we were a bunch of
terrorists. Come to think of it I might have been safer wandering
the streets of Amman all night instead of spoons with BYU students.
I am sure I would love to see
what you are seeing. And while you may not believe in the Himalayas, you
are actually in them. The highest part is to your north,
but you are in the southern edge of them. Haha. So go find a
Himalaya Toshi station and see if there’s a pub! I read a book called Seven
Years in Tibet one time that made me fascinated with the city of Lhasa, I
wonder if you ever hear about it there. You’re not that far away.
The book took place when the Dalai Lama was a boy and still living there.
Your question on developing a
stronger assertive personality was an interesting question. There must be
a reason you felt to ask me that- I have known a lot of people with very
strong, assertive personalities and they aren’t always pleasant people to be
around. Some people are so full of opinions and self confidence that they
can’t see past the end of their own nose. However, I have a feeling
you’re talking about something very different.
Elder Maxwell gave a talk
called “Endure it Well” and toward the end of it he said this:
“You and I see in those who “endure it well” a quiet, peaceful
majesty, an unspoken, inner awareness that, like Paul, they have “kept the
faith.” And they know it, though they do not speak of it.”
I imagine you’re speaking of
this ‘quiet, peaceful majesty’ or ‘unspoken, inner awareness’ that radiates
from someone who has it but they are not likely to talk about it. Grandpa
Pincock is one who I think really has that. I have admired him for the
past almost 22 years as I have watched him wear that majesty, but never direct
attention to it. Even when he was so sick in the hospital after the
esophageal tear 4+ years ago, he still had it even then. Most truly great
people let their actions and their achievements speak for themselves, they do
not advertise them. To walk humbly is not to be self demoralizing nor is
it to be self congratulating. It is something far greater and often
misunderstood that is very content with self but looks to the wellbeing of
others first. It brings great courage and also great compassion. There
is a confidence that comes but it is not the kind of loud confidence you see in
people like Scarlett O’Hara or Dr. Leo Marvin. It is much more subtle, a
confidence which listens more than talks and usually takes sufficient time to
know its own mind and heart. But it is a confidence which goes beyond the
moment, which appreciates eternity in the balance. (not the type of
confidence you saw in your dear father the day of missing the plane in Georgiaπ when you suggested we sing an hymnnnn)
My dear Audrey, you already
have what you seek far more than you probably realize. It’s part of your
“magnetic” personality- people are attracted to you and drawn to you because
they feel better about themselves when they are with you. That does not
limit by the way to the peers of your same age. It is fully effective
across language, age, and cultural barriers. If you are true to who you
are and what you know, I guarantee those in your group now will come to feel
your deep, quiet, majestic confidence in time. And with consistent good
choices and experience, that confidence will grow stronger and stronger.
I love you and miss you- and
I am proud of you for who you are and are becoming.
Love, Dad
Reply from Audrey to Dad
Hola
mon Papi-ji
Me
gusta tapeikko lettre to me.
Translation:
thank you for emailing me haha. Your writing makes me feel like you're sitting
right next to me and that makes me feel happy. π you will write a
book someday, won't you? About me obviously. I mean what else is there to write
about.
Don't
let Sheridean tell you what to do! You eat that dickens dessert any way you
want, you hear?
I've
been reading that book a little and it is my friend. :) I can't say it's my
best friend but it is doing good things for my soul so it's a close friend. But
I'm only on page 16 or something, and Alan (the 100 year old man) has stolen a
suitcase from a violent Hippie but can't unlock it. Oh no!
Your
thoughts on what I'm doing and feeling are pretty accurate. I feel a lot of
emotions every day and every hour. It's a never ending blur of HAPPY SAD MAD
ANNOYED REALLY EXCITED HAPPY IN AWE AGAIN LONELY FED UP SAD SCARED
HAPPY CONFUSED
The
humanity.
the
negative emotions can get really really negative. But the positive ones are
like x20 in happiness and come more often than the bad ones. I have found a
love for this place that goes kind of deep. Despite the dirt and the constant
hawking of loogies and the people that try to sell you everything, I love
it.
Stockton!
He's a good kid. I hope he is well.
Hahaha
my phone and I have an unbreakable bond. It's probably my horcrux and that's why
it's rebelling against you. If you're not careful it might attack your or
something. Your phone is much speedier, however, and I'm becoming good pals
with it also. Thanks for letting me bring it.
Ps
it takes a real man to use his daughters flowery phone case.
Hahaha!
You guys have had some interesting adventures in the dating terrain. I think
you're very qualified! Just talk about ping pong (or whiff whaff, as the
English call it).
Himalayan
toshi station πππ that made me
laugh so Freaking hard. I think I'll go look for one, I need to stock up on
power converters.
Hey thanks mucho for the thoughts on confidence and quiet majesty. I've been thinking about that a lot this week since you sent it, and analyzing myself and the people I'm with. I have found myself in some situations where I've felt very uncomfortable and since you sent that, it's been really easy to know what to do without having to care what anyone thinks of me. I've learned that
Hey thanks mucho for the thoughts on confidence and quiet majesty. I've been thinking about that a lot this week since you sent it, and analyzing myself and the people I'm with. I have found myself in some situations where I've felt very uncomfortable and since you sent that, it's been really easy to know what to do without having to care what anyone thinks of me. I've learned that
a)
being alone is better than being without the spirit
b)
people are more accepting than I assume, and will usually be that way if you
own your integrity
c)
the word of wisdom is so so important
d)
it's ok to be quiet
e) everyone,
EVERYONE regardless of race or status or attitude is a child of God
whether or not they believe it.
And lots of other things. Thinking of grandpa Pincock makes me happy.
I
have been reading in Matthew 15 and I can't quite understand
Christ's interaction with the woman of Canaan. In verse 26 where he says
"it is not meet to take the children's bread, and cast it to dogs." I
don't get what he was trying to teach. Help?
Thank
you for supporting me and being my dad. I sometimes cry because I feel so
grateful for you. I love you as much as annakin loved padme
Scratch
that. I love you as much as electricity loves metal poles.
Haha
ok sorry
Have
a happy Sunday :)
Ps
the dog's name is Kali and she lives at our house but no one knows what kind of
dog she is. What does she look like to you?
Reply from Dad 1/17/16
Hello Audrey,
Matthew 15 is a great image to talk about. Truly one
of my favorites, probably because I love dogs- why else would I have chosen my
profession…
The Master Teacher was obviously trying to teach something
through an image. So first, to truly understand what he is saying, get
the image in your head that he uses: A dog begging at the table.
Think of how you personally feel when a dog begs at the table. It
probably matters how you feel if the dog is sassy and demanding and obese from
already getting too many twinkies or whether it is skinny and lonely and
sincerely friendly. Whatever you imagine, it’s the basic image of the
story to keep in mind.
There are laws and promises given to certain groups of
people- it has always been that way. During this time, the promises given
to the covenant people of Israel was that they were to be the first in being
taught the gospel and enjoying its blessings. This woman with the
daughter possessed of a devil was not of covenant Israel, she was a Caananite,
or a Gentile and therefore generally not eligible for the blessings at that time.
Peter receives the revelation in Acts 10 that the gospel is then to go forth to
all the world, Jew or Gentile… and then after the Restoration it was prophesied
that the last shall be first and the first shall be last- in part meaning that
the Gentiles would the first in the latter days, and the Jews would be last- so
anyway there is the background for the Savior delaying the miracle to the
Gentile woman for a bit. It’s the principle of promises and blessings
given to certain groups of people.
SO here we have a Gentile woman asking for a miracle.
And she is persistent. And she has great faith in the Savior. And
she gets compared to a dog (Hebrew: Kunarion: literally, little dog, a
household dog, a pet—not a stray or a wild dog) and the woman takes the metaphor
to include a table and crumbs. She demonstrates persistence, and
faith. And even though not of covenant Israel, she qualifies for a
miracle. Many principles here at work- one of which is the promises made
to groups of people, but an overriding principle seems to be the faith and
sincerity of an individual. And another principle has to be mentioned
here in between: that there are some principles which can override
others.
It was obviously a test of faith for a mother, to see if she
really qualified for an exception, and she did. Her story is a great
story- since mercy is the principle underlying an exception. And when we
all face a day of judgment, we all hope we find mercy as an underlying
principle.
So back to the image of the dog, persistently begging at the
table. Sometimes you might give in and sometimes you might not.
Probably depending on what behavior you want to reinforce. You don’t want
to reinforce a demanding attitude, but you do want to reinforce true loyalty and
faithfulness. The Savior’s reward to that woman I think reinforces that
He wants all of us to imitate her in a way- to ask for blessings sincerely and
with faith and persistence, even when you may feel ignored at first and turned
away next, don’t stop asking for what is right. Often times a desired and
righteous blessing will eventually come.
Sorry so long and detailed, but since you have no Gospel
Doctrine or Mission prep right now, maybe that can be a little compensation
this Sunday night.
Last night mom and I drove back home so we could both be at
a bunch of meetings today. We set apart a new high priests group
leadership in the 3rd ward today and Riley Cook gave his farewell
talk today in the 1st ward. We also had our quarterly family
search library board meeting which sounds about as bad as it is, but they need
to happen and they happen every 3 months and I have been asked to oversee
them. And mom went to BYC and combined YW and all of it was awesome in
our ward apparently. And she started a migraine last night but she’s
better now. So we’re driving right now back to the Clue House and I’m
typing this in the passenger seat. Grandma and Grandpa Pincock have a new
calling- ward missionaries.. and Grandma is better now from her cold she
had. How is your cold by the way? Hopefully going away.
Driving last night through the canyon was really bad, but today it’s much much
better. Funniest moment of the white elephant party last night:
Aaron putting on leopard tights which were borderline pornographic and prancing
around. Brad was playing with us via Skype since Adam was diagnosed with
mono yesterday and had to go home. AJ ended up opening a “man bun” which
is like a wig but just of a man bun only that you somehow pin to your head and
it sent Cristy in to a Grandma Pincock hysteric fit. We played a horrible
game of Catan just for you yesterday with the biggest board we’ve ever
attempted and my mistake was making us play to 20 points. We found out
that is a really bad idea. So when you come home we’ll just play regular
and it will be great. If I can get anyone to ever play with me again
after that game. Mom actually made it to 19 points before we quit since
her getting her last point would have taken another hour of playing. The
Odgen temple was awesome yesterday for baptisms. We might just make that
a part of Clue House tradition. The temple is literally 7 minutes away
and all we’re doing is sitting around in our pajamas being non productive
anyway. Well, thanks for your awesome email. I got it early this
morning when I got up frustrated with some little detail to do with my board
meeting today and it was so perfect to read it right then. I also had the
music to one of the temple films in my head this morning and now every time I
see that film I will probably think of that morning and your email that made my
day.
Love you,
Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment