Thursday, November 2, 2017

Letter from Dad 10/30/17

Hello Queen Audrey Anna the Resolute,

Do you recall the scene from “The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe” where Aslan crowns the 2 sons of Adam and the 2 daughters of Eve and gives them their royal titles?

To the glistening eastern sea, I give you Queen Lucy the Valiant. To the great western woods, King Edmund the Just. To the radiant southern sun, Queen Susan the Gentle. And to the clear northern skies, I give you King Peter the Magnificent. Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia. May your wisdom grace us until the stars rain down from the heavens.”

Have you ever wondered what your own title might have been in that scene?  There are a lot of words in scripture to describe those who are true disciples of Jesus Christ.  I have been pondering on what title I would now give you, at this time of completion.  I thought of a few, including “Audrey the Stalwart” and “Audrey the Steadfast.”  A writer named Francis Gibbons who was a member of the Seventy about 25 years ago wrote a series of prophetic biographies, all ending with the phrase “Prophet of God.”  Joseph Fielding Smith was well known for his gospel knowledge and study over a long lifetime and his biography was titled “Joseph Fielding Smith, Gospel Scholar, Prophet of God.”  President Benson was known for his patriotism and government service and had the title “Ezra Taft Benson, Statesman, Patriot, Prophet of God.   President Kimball, who was really the prophet of my childhood has my favorite title, and one I’ve pondered a lot on: “Spencer W. Kimball, Resolute Disciple, Prophet of God.”  That is where I chose the title at the beginning of today’s email from.  The word “resolute” defines as:
firmly resolved or determined; set in purpose or opinion
I am guessing that you, my Royal Resolute Daughter, are feeling a flood of emotions right now and the probable reaction for this coming week is going to be to bury yourself in work and pretend that next week isn’t coming.  Kind of like Grover in his book “There is a Monster at the End of this Book” that you’ll probably remember.  And if you do that I will be more proud than I can say.  One of the memories I most treasure from my whole mission came the week my parents came to pick me up.  We had already had our final testimony meeting with the end group, my fellow missionaries had already flown home, I had already had my final interview with the President and we took one last trip up north to Coquimbo to visit my favorite (and most distant) area.  It was the last thing we did before leaving Chile.  We had a big farewell party with so many people that I loved there and stayed overnight and the currently serving missionaries in that ward had a sick companion and a lesson to teach that night and I can’t remember how I found out about their dilemma but I gladly volunteered to go in the sick missionary’s place.  I hadn’t been released yet, so I was still an official missionary and went to teach one last lesson.  The missionary I went with commented that he couldn’t believe I was going with him since I was officially done and I answered something about how much I loved being a missionary… but that last night of teaching has since become one of my very favorite memories of all. 
Halloween party this week.  AJ and Nicole were voted the best costume of all.  But you won’t have any idea who they are until you come home and watch a TV show that is all the rage right now.  It’s kind of a recreation of the scene in E.T. where they go flying in the air on a bike.  And the rest of us you’ll get no problem I’m sure.  It is one of our better years for costumes although mine was too small and I couldn’t breathe.  But one family member hated his costume way more than I did… haha
Yesterday we had a great birthday party for Isaac who is now 13.  He got food, clothes, money, Legos, and a new phone.  And his own phone number.  Which I haven’t memorized yet. 
Know how much we love you and how much we are anticipating next week.  Audrey, you are such a blessing in our family.  Thank you for being a missionary these past 18 months.  You have served well and faithfully.  Matthew 25:23
I’ll end my email today with the lyrics to the ending song from the “Prince Caspian” Narnia movie which I think are extremely profound.  And remind me so much of the beginning and end of serving a mission:

It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word
And then that word grew louder and louder
'Til it was a battle cry
I'll come back
When you call me
No need to say goodbye
Just because everything's changing
Doesn't mean it's never been this way before
All you can do is try to know who your friends are
As you head off to the war
Pick a star on the dark horizon
And follow the light
You'll come back when it's over
No need to say goodbye
You'll come back when it's over
No need to say goodbye
Now we're back to the beginning
It's just a feeling and no one knows yet
But just because they can't feel it too
Doesn't mean that you have to forget
Let your memories grow stronger and stronger
'Til they're before your eyes
You'll come back
When they call you
No need to say goodbye
You'll come back
When they call you
No need to say goodbye

Love, Dad

P.S.  And remember that Grover finds at the end of the book that everything turns out just fine. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment